Solved World War Z Pointer Help using Cheat Engine (Can't Find)

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

diabloSOD

Learner
Trump Tier Donator
Aug 30, 2020
Game Name: World War Z
Anticheat: N/A
How long you been coding/hacking? 1 year
Coding Language: C++

I have been having an issue trying to find pointers for certain addresses in this game. I am able to modify my money and levels easily by finding the address of that value, but I can't seem to trace it. I have tried finding what accesses/writes to the address, but when I try to trace the address backwards to find the base pointer I am getting an invalid value. I also tried generating a pointermap and doing a pointer scan and I am getting back 0 results from that method as well. I feel as if I must be missing something but I don't see it. Here are some screenshots to show what I'm talking about.
tempsnip.png

In the image above it shows I have the working Value for in game yellow money (blocked by calculator). Afterwards I looked for the offset by seeing what code accesses that value and tried subtracting it from the base address. I tried searching the result of that calculation and ended up with 0 results.
tempsnip2.png
tempsnip3.png

After getting no where with that I tried doing the pointer scan of the address (the original maximum offset value was 4096 which gave me the same results).

This is where I'm currently stuck, just trying to find the pointer to the money. I also had tried finding the pointer to the level address and I was getting 0 results back as well. If I've skipped a step or left something out I apologize, just let me know what needs to be corrected.

As a side note, I began reading the Game Hacking Guide around a month or two ago and thought it was very useful (articles listed + videos on youtube) which I why I donated. I hate hackers (in-games) with a passion but the coding/process that goes into making the hack itself is amazing and hopefully by the end of the guide I will have a good enough grasp on this to do so myself.

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Afterwards I looked for the offset by seeing what code accesses that value and tried subtracting it from the base address
Can you explain this part better, because this doesn't make sense

I began reading the Game Hacking Guide around a month or two ago
The GHB says:

Do not try to learn to hack on a complicated game, use something easy such as Assault Cube, CSGO or COD4. If you do a complicated game you won't learn or accomplish anything.

Refusing to accept the advice at the beginning of the Start Here Guide is what causes 99.99% of users to fail.

diabloSOD

Learner
Trump Tier Donator
Aug 30, 2020
Can you explain this part better, because this doesn't make sense
I worded it like a moe. What I meant to say was after finding out what accesses that address, I tried using the multi-level pointer formula to back-trace to the static base address (green text).

Do not try to learn to hack on a complicated game, use something easy such as Assault Cube, CSGO or COD4. If you do a complicated game you won't learn or accomplish anything.
I didn't think this game would be too complicated, especially since I'm playing in offline mode. I'm trying to use cheat engine as much as possible on older games in my library so I can get used to it on different games and get a better feel for it.

Lukor

ded
Meme Tier VIP
Fleep Tier Donator
Dec 13, 2013
You are going the wrong way around.
1599064411481.png

You want to use the address in RDX/RCX. Not the address your money is at.
Mistake or did you skip asm day?

diabloSOD

Learner
Trump Tier Donator
Aug 30, 2020
You want to use the address in RDX/RCX. Not the address your money is at.
Mistake or did you skip asm day?
The asm is still a bit confusing but I did not skip that day. I was trying everything. Screenshots below:
snip1.PNG
snip2.PNG

I noticed they are the same address because of the operation performed. Tried backtracking as displayed below:
snip3.PNG

Still got back 0 results.
snip4.PNG

Lukor

ded
Meme Tier VIP
Fleep Tier Donator
Dec 13, 2013
Closer, but still not there.
What type of process do you work on? x86 or x64 and how many bytes do pointers in those processes have?
What type of value are you searching in CE then?
What value are you searching for in CE?

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Why are you searching for an 8 byte value inside 4 byte variables?

if you don't find any results for 24322242928, then you have to do "Find what accesses" on 24322242928 next

If all else fails use pointer scanner.

Also sometimes you can't find a pointer, and hooking is the best way to get the address. That is what you will see in the majority of CE scripts

Again, this game is a terrible game to learn on.

Last edited:

diabloSOD

Learner
Trump Tier Donator
Aug 30, 2020
Sorry for the late response fellas, just came back from a labor day mini-trip.
What type of process do you work on? x86 or x64 and how many bytes do pointers in those processes have?
What type of value are you searching in CE then?
What value are you searching for in CE?
It is a x64 bit process and those pointers have 8 bytes (I believe).
In CE I was searching for 4 bytes but you are saying I should be searching for 8 instead which would make sense. I'm a bit confused because I do have the correct addresses of what I'm looking for when using a 4 byte search though.
If all else fails use pointer scanner.
Also sometimes you can't find a pointer, and hooking is the best way to get the address. That is what you will see in the majority of CE scripts
I will get to that point again and try using a pointer scanner at that address with the correct byte value. If it does fail, you said sometimes you can't find a pointer. Is that because a pointer for the value I want to edit/always have access to when I reload the game doesn't exist?

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
I will get to that point again and try using a pointer scanner at that address with the correct byte value. If it does fail, you said sometimes you can't find a pointer. Is that because
An experienced person can almost always find a pointer, but sometimes it's not worth the effort and using a hook is easier. For example in OpenArena a pointer was not possible because it uses a "VM" for the game modules, so I had to reverse how the "VM" works in order to find the starting address of my pointer. Then the first offset was a dynamically created offset, not static, so using pointer scanner could never find the correct pointer. Manually parsing the vm table, and getting the dynamic offset, allowed me to create a working pointer at runtime.

Reactions: diabloSOD

diabloSOD

Learner
Trump Tier Donator
Aug 30, 2020
An experienced person can almost always find a pointer, but sometimes it's not worth the effort and using a hook is easier. For example in OpenArena a pointer was not possible because it uses a "VM" for the game modules, so I had to reverse how the "VM" works in order to find the starting address of my pointer. Then the first offset was a dynamically created offset, not static, so using pointer scanner could never find the correct pointer. Manually parsing the vm table, and getting the dynamic offset, allowed me to create a working pointer at runtime.
Probably 15-20 years shy of fully comprehending/attempting that approach :). I tried your idea and I still came up with blanks (regarding find what accesses the address and using the pointer scanner). Will stick to the simpler games for now.

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Probably 15-20 years shy of fully comprehending/attempting that approach
you'll be there in 6 months if you stay committed

Will stick to the simpler games for now.
Good idea, I wish someone would have put that recommendation in the GHB :trollface:

My biggest challenge at GH is convincing people to take my advice. My goal with GH has always been to remove all the frustration & wasted time when learning game hacking. I have spent years studying the process of learning game hacking and identified all the reasons people fail and have provided all the solutions. Sadly, people don't take my advice seriously. I'd like to think that I am an "authority" on the topic of learning game hacking and that this authority would result in people listening to me, but I think at the end of the day, some lessons cannot be taught and you must learn them for yourself. I often think, I need to add more text to somehow convey the "listen to me or fail" message but I've already added dozens of them and people don't listen. I have thought of making a video to explain it, but people don't even watch my current videos, so it seems stupid to expect people to watch a new video :(

This is why I just ban everyone, I'm done wasting my time on people that don't listen :fleep::lol:

Anyways just keep practicing!

Reactions: diabloSOD
Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods