Solved Why does server.dll show up in CheatEngine but not OllyDbg?

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat
Aug 21, 2017
So, to preface this I want to mention that I don't actually have a problem, I'm just curious about this. I have already found the correct address and all the code works as intended.

I'm not new to programming but I'm kinda novice at c++ and definitely new to hacking, so I've been following various tutorials to get the hang of it. I was following Fleep's Counter Strike Source Triggerbot tutorial, but instead of copying everything he did I would try to do it myself first, then if I really couldn't figure it out I'd refer back to the tutorial.

At one point, I had a different base entity address than him, but mine contained all the same player structure stuff (team, health, pointers to other players, etc) so I thought it would be fine. He was using pointer engine.dll + offset while I was using server.dll + offset.

Knowing this, I edited hackprocess.h to find server.dll as well, but to my surprise, it hung. I used the debugger and sure enough it always hung on the while loop where I was trying to get server.dll (all other processes worked fine).

I found this kinda odd so I opened Counter Strike Source in ollydbg and sure enough, server.dll was not listed as one of the processes, even when I had joined a server.

I ended up going back into cheatengine and finding the correct engine.dll + offset and everything worked from there.

Now, here's what I'm curious about. Does anybody know why cheatengine could detect server.dll but ollydbg couldn't? I know it seems like a noob question and tbh it's pretty trivial since I now know to ignore any pointers coming from server.dll in CSS anyways, but I'm just really curious as to what the difference is between the two programs that makes it like that.

(Also, sorry if I used the wrong prefix. I wasn't really sure if I should tag it as Help or Discuss, since technically I don't need help lol)

Last edited:

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
thequadehunter server.dll pointers will only work in singeplayer, when your in multiplayer server.dll won't be in use. you have to get everything from the other .dlls. Different entity address then Fleep? That's good, because #1 it's dynamic and #2 it's a different version of the game

Aug 21, 2017
Rake;51037 said:
thequadehunter server.dll pointers will only work in singeplayer, when your in multiplayer server.dll won't be in use. you have to get everything from the other .dlls. Different entity address then Fleep? That's good, because #1 it's dynamic and #2 it's a different version of the game
Oh wow, that's so much simpler of an answer than I was expecting, heheh.

Thanks for the help!

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods