N/A
Tutorial Link
N/A
How long you been coding/hacking?
3 years
Coding Language
asm/c
Hello,
for a while I have been reversing ioctl dispatch routines of some drivers and the most interesting stuff I found was only access to in & out instructions. I can read and write arbitrary byte at arbitrary port. I heard that it may have an impact on security... but my question is how can it be abused to anything related to game hacking? idk much about modern IO communication, last time I was messing with it was on DOS and it was well documented in few pages.

x96

Dank Tier Donator
May 27, 2020
Reading and writing via __inbyte/__outbyte etc is often chipset specific, but a lot of stuff is generalized because of ACPI from UEFI standard. Since in Supervisor mode from your kernel driver you have privileges to access IO ports. Hehe few pages in DOS, no way, even legacy systems had tons of IO and hardcore interrupts. Instead of few pages, try few thousand pages in the modern Intel manual.

This is no longer kernel realm but firmware level, and firmware has unrestricted access to main memory (unless some IOMMU/DMA remapping from hypervisors like HyperV are at play). So you end up with I/O and hypervisors, bootloaders, PCIe devices to UEFI components. You must not limit yourself to thinking how can this be used for game hacking, the thought process is how can it be used to comprise the OS security.

XdarionX

Dying Light Hacker
Dank Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Mar 30, 2018
Hehe few pages in DOS, no way, even legacy systems had tons of IO and hardcore interrupts.
yeah i didnt mean it all, just simple keyboard & sync with in and out for chip sounds
but thanks for the reply, i already forgot about this thread :ROFLMAO:

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods