Off Topic Steam Achievements.. How It Should Work

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

Crazywink

Hacker
Meme Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Jul 18, 2012
This is a pretty random rant about how Steam handles their achievement system, but I just wanted to get it out there..

So to start out, I love Steam, it's made PC gaming what it's grown to today, without PC gaming would not be nearly as popular as it has grown to be. But it's not perfect.. There are certain things I wish they would change. The biggest thing, being their achievements and leveling system.

I am by no means a console gamer, but one thing they got right was their achievement systems. They actually feel rewarding and give you a reason to want to achieve them. Steam achievements are kind of just there with no real reward.

Currently the leveling system is based on a few different factors, the majority of it being crafting different card that you earn/buy (mostly buy because each game limits you on how many cards you can get which is always below the amount you need to craft the card).
Of course Steam is going to do this because it sees profit from it, but this is what would make the system 1000 times better in my opinion:

Make achievements level you. Have a system in place similar to PSN or XBL where there are different tiers of achievements, some give you more experience if they're harder, the easier ones give you less.

I threw together an image to show a basic idea of what I'm talking about:

Notice the area that has the trophy, my name, level, and progress to next level. This is what I would love to see Steam do. Give a way to show off how many achievements you've gotten, a way to compare to your friends.
Steam beats out consoles in almost every other regard, with an update to the achievement system it would completely kick everyone else's ass.

Rant over. :)

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
He's alive and angry! Raaaaarrrr!
I'd have to agree with you the Steam Achievements mean nothing to me.
The unusual achievements in WoW were always fun for me when I was bored.

Solaire

Respected Hacker
Dank Tier VIP
Dec 15, 2013
I agree as well, they could definitely do much better in that area.

squeenie

Hacker
Meme Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Mar 6, 2013
I've never really cared for achievements but steam ones are definitely the least interesting.

Crazywink

Hacker
Meme Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Jul 18, 2012
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.. Come on Gaben!

mPulse

Coder
Nobleman
Jun 19, 2013
Also you can make profit with trading carts, like buy some cheap game on sale ($0,09) and sell all cards, like ($0,05) = profit.. :)

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods