Questions about C++

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • ► You must register to download attachments!
Swift Games Accounts
Oct 26, 2013

I'm pretty new to C/C++. I'm doing C# for 1 year now, so I want to learn a new, higher-level programming language.
I dedicated a whole day to reading tutorials/books about it and now I (think I) know the basics of it.

As I saw there is no need for Dll input, as all of the functions I need is in the header files and this makes me easier to do memory things.

But I would have some questions about some things I can't understand.
What does this means? '->' And this? '^'
What are DWORDs and other "unusual"(for me) variable types? I know int, bool, short, long etc. but the capital letter types are foreign to me. What are the differences between a DWORD and an integer? Or a LPCSTR and string(or char[])?
What can I use pointers for? I saw a lot of people using it(the '*' symbol) but what can they achieve with it?

I'm out of questions for now :)

Thanks in advance!
Jul 6, 2013
Your RAM
1. c++ is lower-level than C#
2. pstructureX->valueY actually means that pstructureX is a pointer to a structure, if you want the structure itself u need to use *pstructureX, and if you want the value valueY within structure x you need *pstructureX.valueY which means the same as pstructureX->valueY
3. read this
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
to learn pointers.

EDIT: and for the data types look at this, you can also (in VS) right click a data type and see where the definition is it helps to understand.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
Last edited:

If you highlight DWORD or any other variable or function in Visual Studio and press F1 it'll take you to the MSDN website and give you a brief explanation.

Kim Kong Trasher
Legacy Donator
Dank Tier VIP
Jul 19, 2012
Mankei Iland
* dereferences the pointer, ie instead of just reading the value a variable wholds it will read the value at the address the variable holds.