Solved Learning vs Copying

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

ThatRandomGuy

Mar 27, 2016
Hello all, I just stumbled across the Guided Hacking youtube channel and it perked my interest. I have only the most basic level of programming experience and by basic I mean basic...

The problem I'm finding is when I'm following books or tutorials I often find myself copying huge chunks of code and not actually learning. Anyone can make anything if they follow a tutorial but you're not actually learning. So what do you guys do to help you understand, learn and actually retain the information?

Truly understanding something means you can start from scratch and create the entire thing yourself without any template or google or video tutorials etc. I'm really struggling to retain information. I always find myself having to google for the solution which in turn means I'm not actually learning anything.

Any tips?

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
ThatRandomGuy Welcome to GH!

You gotta start small, Copy and paste some small stuff, then modify and expand it to do more, make it print to console get creative and have fun, this will provide you experience which is worth more than anything else. In the youtube tutorials, you should try typing out the code at the same time instead of copy and pasting. Be sure to look up every single function on MSDN and read it over and over again until you understand it 100%, then move onto the next one

Last edited:

ThatRandomGuy

Mar 27, 2016
Rake;41338 said:
ThatRandomGuy Welcome to GH!

You gotta start small, Copy and paste some small stuff, then modify and expand it to do more, make it print to console get creative and have fun, this will provide you experience which is worth more than anything else. In the youtube tutorials, you should try typing out the code at the same time instead of copy and pasting. Be sure to look up every single function on MSDN and read it over and over again until you understand it 100%, then move onto the next one
Thanks for the tips. I do actually type out the code but often times I find myself typing out code that I don't actually understand. Checking the functions on MSDN is a very good idea I never thought of that.

Something I like to do often is type out the tutorial and then add my own functions and change / edit stuff. This is the best thing I've found so far that helps me understand what is going on in the program.

Nazalas

Coder
Dank Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
May 20, 2015
Whenever I really want to understand how something works, I will just start making small changes to it to see what I can get it to do. I will usually start with some small copy paste or a tutorial and add small features to it. Another little thing that I think everyone should do is try to document what you are programming as you are programming. Not only so you understand it when you come back later but I believe that it really makes you take a step back and think about it.

kidharris55

Mar 31, 2016
What you got to do is follow a book and complete the questions and exercises so the material sticks. Only look at code for reference but solve problems with the knowledge you are getting.

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods