Discuss Is Assembly lang that important for reverse-engineering ?

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

IAmCrazyBrain

Apr 21, 2017
Is Assembly lang that important for reverse-engineering ? Do I need to know it ? Also if yes what resources you can recommend me to start learning it ?

mambda

headass
Escobar Tier VIP
Trump Tier Donator
Jun 25, 2014
First 2 questions are the same thing, answer is yes

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Is Assembly lang that important for reverse-engineering ? Do I need to know it ? Also if yes what resources you can recommend me to start learning it ?
Well the devs don't give us the source code, all we get is windows portable executable files which contain assembly instructions and data. So if you want to reverse engineer the program logic, you need to know assembly as well as how the Windows Loader and Portable Executable file format works.

Learn cheat engine first, learn it well, make several cheat tables for different games. Everything you do when making a cheat table is reverse engineering. Read this post I just made yesterday matter of fact read every thread on the forum, lots of good stuff in there :wizg:

wolf22j

Coder
Nobleman
Mar 19, 2014
It's essential if you want to get serious reverse engineering done. Learning ASM is very beneficial for game hacking. I'd have to say the most effective way in my opinion to start reverse engineering is to first forward engineer with assembly. You can do inline assembly with c++, which makes learning the basics of ASM easy by you being able to play around with it. Then you can practice reverse engineering your own programs and seeing how the compiler compiles your code whilst making changes to it by hacking your own program.

Jan 31, 2018
From my very noobie point a view I would say you really need to learn to code, I spent months trying to understand ASM / reverse engineering it was never much more then klingon to me. I came to understand that I could not get anywhere cause I had no ideal how programs work. Even if I had the full source code to my favorite game I would have no clue what to do with it because I don't understand the fundamental basics of how it all works. So my advice is get an understanding of the foundations of programming, if I said to you " 40 + 600 = 3,000,000" and you do not know math, you could move the numbers around all you wanted but in the end you would never understand the problem.

IXSO

Nobleman
Dec 30, 2017
From my very noobie point a view I would say you really need to learn to code, I spent months trying to understand ASM / reverse engineering it was never much more then klingon to me. I came to understand that I could not get anywhere cause I had no ideal how programs work. Even if I had the full source code to my favorite game I would have no clue what to do with it because I don't understand the fundamental basics of how it all works. So my advice is get an understanding of the foundations of programming, if I said to you " 40 + 600 = 3,000,000" and you do not know math, you could move the numbers around all you wanted but in the end you would never understand the problem.
Step 1: Try to understand lenas tuts, focus on basics
Step 2: Learn on your own, gain experiance by reversing your own c/c++ crackme's. Try to code smth via __asm
Step 3: Redo lenas tuts, you should understand all of it by now.
Step 4: Push yourself

Invest time in it, step 2 can't be done in a day/week/month.
Remember that reversing isn't just cracking, it's about extracting knowledge and understanding every detail.
Always keep learning and remember - learning by doing.

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods