Discuss IDA Pro vs Alternatives (x64dbg)

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

Adelphius

Feb 21, 2017
Every one on this forum seems to be very fond of IDA Pro and for good reason, it is a very powerful debugging tool.
As I am still in the learning process, and being that IDA is not free software (free and open source) I looked into some other solutions and found x64dgb.
What do people that have used x64dbg think of it? Is it a good alternative to IDA Pro? It seems to have many shared features and possibly some more (I'm not fully familiar with the feature list of IDA Pro).

I also looked into Hopper, but it's a debugger for linux and osx and I figure most of use here are debugging on windows.

PS Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

wolf22j

Coder
Nobleman
Mar 19, 2014
I have both x64dbg and ida pro. I actually prefer using dbg if I am doing stuff related to pure assembly. I use IDA pro for it's decompiler to better understand huge/complex functions in C

Last edited:
Reactions: PawelGBW

Traxin

Escobar Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Aug 3, 2015
I don't make much use of IDA's debugger... but to answer your question I use em both and love em both lol.
x64dbg is an AMAZING debugger and IDA is THE disassembler of choice.

x64dbg also includes a "convert to C-code" option or some shit but I find it much harder to analyze the IDA's decompiled output.

Reactions: PawelGBW

mambda

headass
Escobar Tier VIP
Trump Tier Donator
Jun 25, 2014
Debuggers are not an IDA alternative. If you want a free open source alternative, look into radare/radare2.

However, in the realm of pure static reverse engineering, IDA is still a unique tool that should be in everyone's toolkit if applicable.

Reactions: PawelGBW and L3n
Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods