Solved IDA Pro - migrate idb to newer exe version

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

traderain

Dank Tier Donator
Feb 19, 2016
How long you been coding/hacking?
Coding for 10 years, hacking for 1-2
Hey,
I have an idb (x64) which I have reversed many function's name etc. The game had an update recently. How can I migrate my idb to the newer one? At least the function names, structs and enums. I am pretty sure it's possible to hash the bytes of each function and save it as a json with IDAPython and reimport it when the new exe is analyzed but I would rather not reinvent the wheel. I tried searching for this but somehow every search engine thinks "migrating" etc can only mean exporting to another tool.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Cheers!

mambda

headass
Escobar Tier VIP
Trump Tier Donator
Jun 25, 2014
nothing built in to ida, youd need to use a plugin or some other tool like BinDiff

If this is to be a common occurrence, id recommend using ghidra since it has version tracking built in

Reactions: traderain

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
maybe these will be helpful idk

IDA Compare: IDA disassembly level diffing tool, find patches and modifications between malware variants. See mydoom A/B sample database and video trainer for usage.

Diaphora: Diaphora (διαφορά, Greek for 'difference') is a program diffing plugin for IDA Pro, similar to Zynamics Bindiff or the FOSS counterparts DarunGrim, TurboDiff, etc... It was released during SyScan 2015.

FIRST: Function Identification and Recovery Signature Tool (FIRST) is a plugin for IDA Pro that allows users to automatically search for and apply function metadata (the function name, parameter names, parameter types, comments, etc.) submitted from different IDBs / users. This functionality is similar to IDA's Lumina feature, which was introduced in IDA 7.2, although with FIRST the function metadata server address is configurable and the FIRST server code is open source, which means the user can set up a private metadata server for internal use if desired. A community database is also maintained by Cisco Talos and available to use free-of-charge. FIRST supports IDA 6.9 SP1 and above.

TurboDiff: Turbodiff is a binary diffing tool developed as an IDA plugin. It discovers and analyzes differences between the functions of two binaries.

Zynamics BinDiff: BinDiff is a comparison tool for binary files, that assists vulnerability researchers and engineers to quickly find differences and similarities in disassembled code.

Reactions: traderain

traderain

Dank Tier Donator
Feb 19, 2016
Thanks! Ghidra version tracking thing worked well. I might try FIRST if it gets updated more.
Edit:
For anyone stumbling upon this. If you don't have to update the db that often or the exe is smaller. Diaphora does what you need.

Last edited:
Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods