How do Anti Cheats work?

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

HackHand

Jul 20, 2015
Hi guys,
There has been always this question that how anti cheats work generally? What do they look for? For instance, I was playing Rust on a handwritten anti cheat protected server and I found out whenever I open the Cheat Engine it kills the process of it. So I am unable to use the cheat engine. How does it work? What are the possible methods available for looking for Cheat Engine and identifying it? This situation does not particularly hold for the Cheat Engine, I've seen bunch of other anti cheats out there which are pretty smart and they won't allow you to inject any file in the process or even hack the memory directly whatsoever! I know some of you guys have got some private methods. If you think that those methods should not be released please give out some hints or at least a starting point so I can move further and learn on my own. This way your code would not be detected and patched and I will learn what I am looking for. For example one type of question would be, will obfuscators and crypters help the cheat to stay stealth? Just like the malware and viruses? Reversing the cheats available would be a option but that would be a vast topic which demands its own questions.

squeenie

Hacker
Meme Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Mar 6, 2013
Checking filenames/window names
Blacklisted modules
Signature scans
Open handles

Anything you can think of really.

HackHand

Jul 20, 2015
Checking filenames/window names
Blacklisted modules
Signature scans
Open handles

Anything you can think of really.
What topics should I read for to be able to pass the cheat protection? Would you help me if I give you an example?

squeenie

Hacker
Meme Tier VIP
Dank Tier Donator
Mar 6, 2013
Depends how much help you're after. I don't even have time to work on my own projects, so if it takes less than a minute, sure.

As for topics watch all of Fleeps videos. The mid function hooking tutorial covers pattern scanning so you can get an idea of what it is. Learn assembly, even just a little bit can help a lot. Get comfortable with pointers, the WINAPI, and dealing with raw bytes in general.
Basically just read about computers and how they work.

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods