Solved Hooking of a win32u function results in access violation

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats PUBG Accounts

Flickery

Hacked the NASA
Dank Tier Donator
Jan 20, 2020
How long you been coding/hacking?
More than a year
So I'm currently working on a dxgkrnl function hook to be able communicate with usermode using the win32u.dll wrapper.

I succeeded with the kernelmode part, so the function now redirects execution flow to my hookHandler function which can handle usermode requests.

The problem is with my usermode part, I get an access violation when I try to call the function in win32u.dll.

Here is the code (RoutineName is a placeholder for the hooked routine):
Usermode:
template<typename T>
__int64 call_hook(const T arg)
{
    using RoutineName = __int64(__stdcall*)(T);
    auto hooked_func = (RoutineName)GetProcAddress(LoadLibrary("win32u.dll"), "RoutineName");
    return hooked_func(arg);
}
However after loading the kdriver , the usermode program (ran as admin) crashes at this line
C++:
return hooked_func(arg);
with the exception:
Error:
Exception thrown at 0x00007FF87A4BFDDB (ntdll.dll) in UserModeProgram.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000000002A0.
I pretty sure this might be a permission issue or me doing some stupid things with my hook .

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

rzirvi

Nobleman
Sep 7, 2019
Hello, it seems that you are doing something bad in your hooked function. How are you hooking it?

Flickery

Hacked the NASA
Dank Tier Donator
Jan 20, 2020
Hello, it seems that you are doing something bad in your hooked function. How are you hooking it?
I'm just patching the first bytes of the dxgkrnl func to jump to my hookHandler function.
PS: I checked if the jump address was valid and it is, it correctly redirects to my hookHandler func

rzirvi

Nobleman
Sep 7, 2019
I'm just patching the first bytes of the dxgkrnl func to jump to my hookHandler function.
PS: I checked if the jump address was valid and it is, it correctly redirects to my hookHandler func
that means you're doing something wrong in hookHandler, I'm quite surprised that you don't BSOD

Flickery

Hacked the NASA
Dank Tier Donator
Jan 20, 2020
that means you're doing something wrong in hookHandler, I'm quite surprised that you don't BSOD
Actually, the hook handler isn't even called I don't think that would be the problem.

rzirvi

Nobleman
Sep 7, 2019
I previously tried just doing a
C++:
mov rax, address
jmp rax
and I had the same error.
try passing the address of the hook handler to the address (I'm sure you are probably doing this right now)
if that doesn't work, make a pointer that points to the hook handler and pass the address of that pointer (surprisingly this is what I had to do in my function hook!)

Community Mods