Discuss Hacking and selling hacks / cheats - legality

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

Dretch

Sep 17, 2015
Hello there!
I was wondering if making money on cheats or even only the making of cheats and hacks is legal or not. I have read different opinions, most of them said that it is legal. But as far as I have heard the Blizzard entertainment company has sued two websites selling bots for Blizzard's games. Blizzard has won the first lawsuit (won $7 milion I think) and the second lawsuit is still in progress. Both bot making websites were of course selling the bots. Blizzard said that the bots made fair players leave Blizzard's games so Blizzard lost some of their income. So the one lawsuit disproves that it is 100% legal - making money by selling cheats or bots. I read some articles by lawyers, that said you could be sued only for that you used the game's name. For example "DayZ Multihack" - and there's copyright violation. Alright, that makes sense. But would it be illegal if I would not violate any copyright or anything and just changed some of the memory with the programme or sold this software and others would change the memory and play with it?
What is your opinion? Would you try to be completely anonymous, if you sold cheats so that it is hard to be sued? Discuss. :cool:

mambda

headass
Escobar Tier VIP
Trump Tier Donator
Jun 25, 2014
Well, i sell cheats and i have no fear of being sued.

1. For WoW Glider ( i assume thats the first lawsuit you're talking about )

they created a clientless version of WoW, basically infringing on blizzards IP (Intellectual Property) and some whole other legal semantics that i don't know about, there's another german company ( i think ? ) that has to cut some of its features to german users due to some things in the ToS, so depending on the ToS and what you do specifically in your cheat/bot/hack then you could be sued.

2. Anonymity only means something if you're not adhering to the advice in the passage above ^
Organner was pretty prominent back when he was actually a thing, Valve didn't/couldn't sue him.
You can google csgo cheat and have like 20 established sites come up, valve cant do a thing about them because they don't violate anything legally, nothing patent related, copyright related, trademark related.

Same xxxx goes for things like xbox/ps modding i guess, they can't sue you for that specifically ( dont pirate kids argggh )

Dretch

Sep 17, 2015
The first lawsuit I talked about was Ceiling Fan Software vs Blizzard. I don't know how the bot worked or anything about the software they sold. The latest lawsuit I read about is between Blizzard and some german company providing bots for Blizzard games, I think that's the german company you have wrote about just now. Blizzard sued a programmer of a bot for Heroes of the Storm (he was a freelancer that helped the company) and Blizzard made him give the source code of the bot and now the german company sues Blizzard I think for taking the source code. Well, that's something different actually... but initially Blizzard sued the freelancer for making legit players leave Blizzard's games and so Blizzard lost potentional money. The question is if the players really (if any) stopped playing because of bots (did anyone even notice, I mean, how would you recognize a bot against you in HotS?).
So maybe Valve did not think this way, to sue hack creators for ruining game experience and therefore for "scaring off" potentional customers. But you're right, I see a lot of websites selling cheats for a lot of games, obviously without problems.

mambda

headass
Escobar Tier VIP
Trump Tier Donator
Jun 25, 2014
Only two companies I know of actually get up in arms about cheats enough to threaten legal action

Nexon
Blizzard

Other than that you're basically 100% fine.

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Just to re-iterate: if the game company has a history of taking legal action, you should 100% avoid selling hacks for the game.

Companies / Games you should avoid
Blizzard
World of Warcraft
Riot Games
League of Legends
Valorant
PUBG
Overwatch

If you live in China, don't sell hacks for PUBG.

If you live in Asia, be very cautious because they have put people in jail for game hacking there. For instance, in South Korea gaming is a huge industry and they're not screwing around.

"In 2016 South Korea criminalized the creation and distribution of aimbots, wall hacks and other cheating services. A year later the effects were felt: fines of around $10,000 were issued, and probation periods handed down to two offenders."

Creating hacks for online games could now earn you jail time in South Korea

I also read that people have received "cease and desist" style letters regarding COD Warzone

LeagueSharp was given a judgement of $10 million in this injuction RIOT GAMES, INC. v. ARGOTE

Just some links
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/world/australia/grand-theftauto-cheat-mods-melbourne.html
Epic Games Settles First Copyright Case Against Fortnite Cheater * TorrentFreak
Overwatch cheat maker ordered to pay $8.6 million in damages to Blizzard

Attached you will find this paper from 2019:
FIGHTING CHEATERS IN GAMES AFTER BLIZZARD V. BOSSLAND: THE HISTORY AND FUTURE OF ANTI-CHEATS LITIGATION
Originally found at hxxp://illinoisjltp.com/journal/

A little snippet:

"Suing individual cheats programmers or players almost never justifies the cost of litigation. When against corporate cheats makers, often great uncertainties exist as well with enforcement of the judgment, as they may have no properties within the reach of the court. Therefore, the primary objective of plaintiff game developers in most cases is not to collect damages, but to obtain an injunction against the sale of cheats and the court’s declaration that cheats are illegal."

Also, make sure your site is hosted with a non DMCA host in Russia or similar. Prefer Monero over all other payments types, or launder payments through gift cards, just don't cash them yourself, you have to re-sell them, just like malware people do.

Attachments

Last edited:

rzirvi

Nobleman
Sep 7, 2019
P2C, don't Free2C, you should be fine.

Free2C - distributing your cheat freely while licenses are handed out through linkvertise or another advertising platform.
(wearedevs, viper venom and 80% of roblox market has this business model because roblox does not ever take legal action)

If you keep your customer base small, (less than 100 people) you have nothing to worry about.

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods