Discuss Finding functions in IDA/Ollydbg

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

Lolita1

Jun 8, 2015
Hello,
well i'm wondering .. Let's say i open up IDA i put there engine.dylib and i find function for example IsDrawingLoadingImage.

(I don't want advice how to find vtable and execute function with index "x", i know how to do that)

I'm more likely wondering if i know how that function looks like let's say like that

If there is a way i can find it thought ollydbg in running game faster than use breakpoints and mess around for while?

I read somewhere thought strings if there is some string in that function .. seach for it in ollydbg and there you go.. but what if there is no string in that function like this one ?

Last edited:

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Reverse engineering involves alot of time spent just poking around in the binary. Depending on what function you want to find you would look in different places. Sorry but this question is too vague, "how to reverse engineering". What function are you wanting to find and what game? If you're using IDA half the work is done for you already, just start renaming variables and functions as you discover what they do and other functions that access those variables/functions will start to make sense as your renames will populate throughout the entire dissassembly.

Solaire

Respected Hacker
Dank Tier VIP
Dec 15, 2013
If it's in a vtable, get the vtable, get the function address, done. You could also pattern scan.

EDIT:
You could also search for functions that call this one that have strings in them.

Lolita1

Jun 8, 2015
If it's in a vtable, get the vtable, get the function address, done. You could also pattern scan.

EDIT:
You could also search for functions that call this one that have strings in them.
Well this one it is and i know how to get to the pointer for vtable. Another one i dont and i asked for this becasuse i need just this one function i found thought IDA but i can't find it in running game, because i was thinking about signature/pattern scaning that's why i asked this question.

Anyway i was trying to find answer like all night and found some answer some guy posted somewhere. He wrote something like find vtable, go thought each function and look for string. find string in running game, now you got vtable in dll, get your position of function, compare with function from IDA and work is done.

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods