Solved Difference between address and pointers and meaning?

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

pytex

Nov 16, 2016
Hi guys, I am confused with pointers and addresses.
The tutorial I am following is a bunnyhop hack, and one line of code he uses is:
C++:
        public static int aJump = 0x04AF150C;
Obviously the address he uses for jump is out of date, so how do I find my own?
I have used CE to find 3 dynamic addresses (the grey ones) and I don't know where to go from there to get that 0x0?????? address.
Any help?

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Hi guys, I am confused with pointers and addresses.
The tutorial I am following is a bunnyhop hack, and one line of code he uses is:
C++:
        public static int aJump = 0x04AF150C;
Obviously the address he uses for jump is out of date, so how do I find my own?
I have used CE to find 3 dynamic addresses (the grey ones) and I don't know where to go from there to get that 0x0?????? address.
Any help?
Inside a process's memory, there exists code and data.
An address stores the value of a variable . A pointer stores a value also, but this value is an address. Both of these are data. Data is represented by bits/bytes. An address is represented as bytes. It is important to note that in memory, there is no perfect way to discern data/code from a pointer. There are different markers that when combined, indicate to you that it is probably a pointer such as the length of the variable being the size of a pointer (4 byte on x86, 8 byte on x64), the pointer generally pointing to the same place of memory/last byte always the same, and the value being within a section of mapped memory.

The problem with your example is that:
aJump doesn't include any naming convention that indicates if it is a pointer or an actual address
int can be used to store the address of a variable, or a pointer that when deferenced gives you the address of the variable
We have no indication of whether this code or data

Therefore you have some things to figure out. All of our tutorials cover this topic at length but this is the one you want to watch first:
https://youtu.be/YaFlh2pIKAg

And here's a good read:
https://guidedhacking.com/showthread.php?7494-Reverse-Engineer-C-Games-Game-Hacking-Tutorial

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.

Community Mods