Solved Best method for finding address?

Hexui Undetected CSGO Cheats Sinkicheat PUBG Cheat

Kalist

Jul 5, 2015
So I've been watching some of Fleep's tutorias and he seems to cover quite a few ways to find the same address. So I am now confused to which one I should use, and which is the most undetected one (if detection even matters on this). Should I find addresses through (multilevel) pointer(s) or through signature/pattern scanning (codecaving)? I know codecaving has the advantage that it is less likely you'll need to update your hack once a game update comes, but all I care about is detection here. So does it make a difference detection wise which method I use?

Also, on a sidenote, I've never understtod the difference between looking at "what accesses this address/pointer" and "what writes to this address/pointer" in Cheat Engine. Could anyone elaborate the differences on this too? It would be great if someone could come with an example of when to use "what writes to" and when to use"what accesses ".

(Moved the thread to this section of the forum, as I saw it more fitting here).

Rake

Cesspool Admin
Administrator
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Kalist welcome to GH! I can answer some of your questions.

quite a few ways to find the same address. So I am now confused to which one I should use, and which is the most undetected one (if detection even matters on this). Should I find addresses through (multilevel) pointer(s) or through signature/pattern scanning (codecaving)? I know codecaving has the advantage that it is less likely you'll need to update your hack once a game update comes, but all I care about is detection here. So does it make a difference detection wise which method I use?
If the game detects you using cheat engine, there are ways to bypass that. Otherwise at this stage of the reversing process you don't need to worry about detection, once you get Cheat Engine to attach you're all set, you should probably be doing this in single player at this point if possible. Your steps are like this:
1) Find the address of a variable in memory
2) Find out of this address is dynamic or static. If the address resides inside a .exe module than this address is static. It will probably look like ac_client.exe + 0x000084. This is a static address. If it is not static you will need to find a pointer to it. The base address of this pointer will be static or dynamic.
If the address resides in a .dll then the address is dynamic, you add an offset to the address of the loaded .dll(calculated at runtime) to get to the dynamic address. Plenty of information here: Tutorial - Get Module Base Address Tutorial dwGetModuleBaseAddress
3) Now that you have the pointer or the static address you can code your hack using the information in the thread I referred you to. You have the choice here to hardcode the memory addresses is they are static, calculate the address at runtime and walk the multilevel pointer or to use pattern scanning. I would learn pattern scanning last once you understand the basics. I'm not sure why you are lumping together patten scanning and codecaving because those have different meanings in my mind(maybe I'm not making the connection :)). Pattern scannings reads the memory byte by byte and compares them to a pattern of bytes. If the pattern matches it gives you the address of matching bytes. Code caving is when you edit the assembly to jump to a empty space of code that you have filled with your own code that you want to execute before returning.

It doesn't matter what method you use, you are opening a process handle and reading memory no matter what method you use so detection risk is the same.

the difference between looking at "what accesses this address/pointer" and "what writes to this address/pointer" in Cheat Engine.
If you want to find the code that decreasing your ammo you would use "What writes to this address" on your ammo address because it changes the value at that address.
Use "what accesses" when you need to find code that uses the value but doesn't change it. Like my map hack, I knew the code needs to read the players team so I used "what accesses" to find it.

Feel free to ask more questions I don't mind helping

How To Hack Any Game 1 Solaire

How to Hack Any Game pt 2 Rake

Pointer Scanning Like a Boss

Last edited:

rapt0r

Banned
Silenced
Jul 4, 2013
i use point scanner for dynamic addresses and just normal manual scanning for static addresses

Attention! Before you post:

Read the How to Ask Questions Guide
99% of questions are answered in the Beginner's Guide, do it before asking a question.

No Hack Requests. Post in the correct section.  Search the forum first. Read the rules.

How to make a good post:

• Fill out the form correctly
  • Tell us the game name & coding language
  • Post everything we need to know to help you
  • Ask specific questions, be descriptive
  • Post errors, line numbers & screenshots
  • Post code snippets using code tags
  • If it's a large project, zip it up and attach it

If you do not comply, your post may be deleted.  We want to help, please make a good post and we will do our best to help you.