• Zombies
      Learning to hack games!

Feeling Normal

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)

Value Locking/Manipulation

John Kittz
      Hi,

I'll start the post with the same disclaimer as I do most of mine - sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I've been unable to find a solution to my issue (but do have some nagging feeling that I've posted/asked about this before). I hope you can all find it in your heart to forgive the newbie question.

Regarding cheatengine, there is functionality that allows you to click the 'tick box' next to a value and lock it. This prevents the value changing. I have watched this happen in FLEEP's tutorials and he does everything from lock the ammo to reducing the 'reload' time.

I have tried this in a game and the values seem to simply change as they would normally, regardless of their locked status. The number of ammo, for example, starts at 30 and then slowly decreases. Locking it really has no effect on this change in value.
      I'm not entirely sure how cheatengine actually maintains the lock on the value, perhaps by overwriting.. having a mutex or something similar but it doesn't seem to be working.

If anyone could provide insight into this, it would be fantastic and very much appreciated.

SSDS

Hacker
      shell toes yes

Lagging

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      I too would like to know what's going on here, happens in sniper elite even when I lock every value ;(

Global Moderator
      give me my colorz back
      FeelsBadMan

Coding

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      Quote Originally Posted by somethingsomethingdarksid View Post
      Hi,

I'll start the post with the same disclaimer as I do most of mine - sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I've been unable to find a solution to my issue (but do have some nagging feeling that I've posted/asked about this before). I hope you can all find it in your heart to forgive the newbie question.

Regarding cheatengine, there is functionality that allows you to click the 'tick box' next to a value and lock it. This prevents the value changing. I have watched this happen in FLEEP's tutorials and he does everything from lock the ammo to reducing the 'reload' time.

I have tried this in a game and the values seem to simply change as they would normally, regardless of their locked status. The number of ammo, for example, starts at 30 and then slowly decreases. Locking it really has no effect on this change in value.
      I'm not entirely sure how cheatengine actually maintains the lock on the value, perhaps by overwriting.. having a mutex or something similar but it doesn't seem to be working.

If anyone could provide insight into this, it would be fantastic and very much appreciated.

SSDS
      So it's changing if you freeze on CE? How about decreasing 'Freeze Interval' (Edit->Settings->Freeze Interval = 1 MS)

Learning to hack games!

Feeling Normal

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      i'll try it and get back to you

Learning to hack games!

Feeling Normal

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      I set the refresh rate for the locking and update stuff to 5ms and 1ms respectively. This didn't seem to help.
      In cheat engine, the value was flickering (because it was being updated etc...) but in game the number of ammo was not affected. IT just decreased with each shot.

There is no other value governing this ammo (when i turn lock off, the number goes back to the one in-game).

I'm not quite sure why it keeps getting overwritten and not sticking to the value... Cheatengine really is new to me.. some Ce-fu would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SSDS

Global Moderator
      give me my colorz back
      FeelsBadMan

Coding

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      I set the refresh rate for the locking and update stuff to 5ms and 1ms respectively. This didn't seem to help.
      In cheat engine, the value was flickering (because it was being updated etc...) but in game the number of ammo was not affected. IT just decreased with each shot.

There is no other value governing this ammo (when i turn lock off, the number goes back to the one in-game).

I'm not quite sure why it keeps getting overwritten and not sticking to the value... Cheatengine really is new to me.. some Ce-fu would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SSDS
      Maybe it detects that you're writing to that value and assigns a new address. Maybe it hooks WPM. Try to find a pointer.

Or it's just server sided.

Learning to hack games!

Feeling Normal

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      Well, there are no new addresses created to store this value - so it's not that.
      I'm not sure what the acronym WPM means.

Also, it's not server side.

Could you tell me what WPM stands for?

Global Moderator
      give me my colorz back
      FeelsBadMan

Coding

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      Well, there are no new addresses created to store this value - so it's not that.
      I'm not sure what the acronym WPM means.

Also, it's not server side.

Could you tell me what WPM stands for?
      WriteProcessMemory. It's an API to write values to processes. By hooking it you can block this function.

Is it an online game or offline? Really weird. But actually there should be other addresses of other data types (float, 4 Bytes, 2 Bytes etc.) which are the real addresses. Sometimes there are values which represent your ammo but aren't effecting it on change. So look for an other data type.

Just do unknown initial value and all data types then decreased etc... Maybe you'll have luck.

Learning to hack games!

Feeling Normal

Thanks (-->)
      Thanks (<--)
      Cheats'n'Trainers
      Ah, ok i'll try your suggestion.

I know WPM(WriteProcessMemory) and how to use it, i jsut didn't know your acronym for it

Similar Game Hacker Threads

1. [Tutorial] Define Byte: Direct Byte Manipulation In Game Hacking
      By ChrisFayte in forum Cheat The Game
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM
    2. [Help] CSGO Aimbot locking onto "ghost" entities
      By koro35 in forum Hacking Help
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM